Monday 26 September 2011

Where's the weekend gone?

So, after several traumatic attempts to blog from my phone I've resigned myself to the fact that I really need to boot up the laptop occasionally. The weekend has passed in a blur of kids' Valentine's project work and I still have Mothers' Day and Easter to think of before mid October. No wonder my life passes me by so quickly!
Finally managed to persuade my daughter to clear everything out of the Wendy house so that I can take it down and rebuild it into something we can both stand up in. Armed with handfuls of conkers (to ward off the spiders) she successfully packed it all into five boxes that I've stowed in the shed....makes me wonder why I could never even get through the door for stuff in the first place. Where has it all gone?

Took some pictures the other day, while the sun was shining and there were still some flowers in the garden. I'd made some quilts recently and thought I ought to take a record them before they were given away or someone split something on them!
The first was made for my friend's grand-daughter using Tanya Whelan's Grand Revival fabrics from Rowan. I'd made something similar to go in Crafts Beautiful magazine but this time I used a heavier weight wadding and it's made it nice and puffy. My quilting is very basic; lots of squares and a bit of edging!
This next one was published in an earlier issue of Sew magazine, again using the Grand Revival cottons. This one was hand quilted in a pattern of stripes, squares and hearts with a lighter weight wadding and is currently resided on the end of my bed although my daughter keeps nicking it!

 





And this last one's the original quilt I made for said daughter as I felt I should do something that wasn't for work. I bought about 12 fat quarters off ebay (don't let me near ebay, I shop way too much!) and made a random pattern from all her favourite colours. I backed it with an old brushed cotton sheet and trimmed the edges with mini pompom trim. Two weeks later I promised to give her room a much needed redecoration and she decided that she'd like a shabby chic vintage style in pale pinks, greens and creams......doesn't really go now does it?

Oh, and I'll end on an ironic note.
After watching my water bill steadily increase over 18 months we've made a concerted effort to stop wasting water by pouring leftover bath water down the loo using a bucket. I was feeling so virtuous when Veolia rang me to say they were concerned about my latest meter reading as my consumption had changed dramatically. Yes, dramatically in the wrong direction...I had used twice as much as usual in the last six months!
They're sending a leak checker man out to me Tuesday week..........


c
x

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful crafting projects as always, and hand quilting... well that is going a bit far!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my little TJC! Nice to hear from you. You think hand quilting's going a bit far? I expect you to be sewing all your own terry nappies, and they should all have beautifully embroidered pictures on the bum!

    ReplyDelete